Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Do You Believe in Ghosts?

I do! In the spirit of Halloween I thought I would share with you my real life ghost story. The house I grew up in and where my parent's still live is haunted. You can ask anyone in my family and they will all agree

My parent's bought the house in 1988 when I was 4 years old. The house had been built in the 60's and my parent's were only the second family to occupy the house. The home is a L shaped ranch style house with my bedroom and parent's bedroom taking up the rear of the house, jutting into our backyard. My mom said that when we moved in my dad and her constantly heard voices coming from the attic and the roof and my mom swore someone had broken into the house. My dad would go outside and check along with searching the house but no one was to be found. My parent's would frequently hear voices but chalked it up to the fact that it was the house settling.
My brother and I also heard voices and what sounded like people talking in the house. My dad worked nights and on nights he was off stayed up very late watching tv. This meant as kids that on nights he had off we would sneak out of bed and stay up late watching tv with dad. So many nights my brother and I would be sneaking into the living room cause we swore we heard the tv on only to walk in and find the tv off and no one in the room. Other weird things occurred, my dad saw a figure of a little boy standing in my brother's room, pots and pans would fall and the voices continued.

The scariest incident happened when I was in 5th grade. My mom started work at 7am and it was up to me to get my brother and I dressed and ready for our neighbors to pick us up for school. I remember this very clearly. My brother had been sleeping in my parent's bed, I had just gotten out of the shower and was reaching for my towel when all of a sudden the hairs stood up on my arms and neck. I remember feeling very cold and my heart started beating furiously. I opened the bathroom door and peered out into the hallway only to hear the sound of what sounded like heavy work boots walking in our kitchen. My dad worked until 8 so there was no way it could have been him. The footsteps continued until they reached the carpeted hallway where I was standing. All of a sudden, our dog who you should not was very aggressive to anybody but the 4 of us ran down the hallway stopping where the hallway met the kitchen. The hair was up on her neck and she was on her back legs clawing and growling at nothing. Eventually she stopped and I immediately called my mom who tried to convince me that it mush have been the wind.

But I knew better. As we continued to live there the weird occurrences slowed down a bit. Probably until my brother and I was in high school. I remember getting a stereo system for my birthday and hooking it up in my room. At random times the stereo would turn on and off, the volume shooting up and down. Always in the middle of the night. Sometimes the back of the house would lose all power yet no fuses were blown . Even our two dogs would sometimes sit at the end of the hallway and refuse to walk down it, both staring at an invisible thing across from them. Freaky stuff

My parent's report that since we have moved out the ghosts seem to have calmed down but sometimes they will still hear what sounds like people having a conversation. And being strictly catholic my parent's still have holy water fountains in certain areas of the house

This past week the hubs and I have been watching alot of horror movies. One night I woke up and swore someone was standing in our living room. Then an hour later I woke up because it sounded like something was rattling in our dryer and I even got out of bed to check it. It was empty. The next night I was telling my hubby and our friends this and they could not stop laughing at me. Well I had the last laugh today. Last night my hubby woke up screaming my name, Katie, Katie and shaking me awake. I woke up and looked over at him, asking What, What's the matter. He just kept staring at the hallway and finally said Oh never mind and went back to sleep. When we woke up he said it had felt like someone was stabbing him in the leg and he wasn't sure it had been a dream. So all day today I have been teasing him, asking him if his leg is red from where someone stabbed him!
So I ask all of you. Do you believe in ghosts? Do you have any creepy ghost stories?


ImageHost.org

6 comments:

  1. I totally believe in ghosts BUT its dark here so I am not going to recount my spooky stories and tell you them because I totally wont sleep tonight haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes!!! My husband and I are firm believers in Ghosts! We have had a few interesting experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely believe in ghosts.. I have had encounters from the time I was a little girl until I was a teenager, but chalked it up to it all being in my head.. After my older son was born, things started up to pick up again.. After Jay and I met, things got really bad for about a year and I ended up having to have my house blessed by a priest and he also blessed a cross that my son now wears around his neck.. We moved soon after and haven't had any issues since.. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do!! I love these kind of stories! I havent really experienced these types of things but when I was younger I would ouija board a lot with my best friend, swear the thing worked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I do!! My ex lived in a house that I SWEAR was haunted. There was one room that felt very cold and heavy ALL the time. It was a really old house, and his dad figured that room had been used as a parlor in the 1800s, so they would've laid bodies out there for funerals. One time I was house sitting, and I was walking through one bedroom to the next to go downstairs (there are no hallways in that house) and I closed the door behind me. As I was entering the next room I heard a knock on the door!! I thought I imagined it, but I was surrounded by 4 dogs who all turned around and started barking under their breath at the door. Needless to say I RAN out of the house, into the car, and sped home. I left the dogs outside so they wouldn't have to be in the house alone. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I nannied for a family that had a ghost! It was intense. We believe it was a little boy because we'd all seen at some time or another what at the moment we thought was the boy I watched but he'd end up being asleep in his bedroom or in another portion of the house. When I was there late one night I had just put the kids to bed and they were both sound asleep. I had just made it out of their daughters room and taken probably 4 steps when her door slammed shut.. I turned around and opened it to find her still in her bed sound asleep.. I told the boy he could stay and play but he needed to leave the door open. The rest of the night I heard footsteps running up and down the hall but no doors slammed shut again that night. Random toys would go missing for days. Then I'd clean up the play room and come back in to find the toy in the middle of the floor. It was very strange. Things like that happened all the time. I totally believe & my fiance makes fun of me.. I keep saying that one day a ghost is going to get pissed that he doesn't believe and come haunt him!

    ReplyDelete