Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Laundry, cleaning, homework Oh My!!

Last night the news was forecasting snow. I was excited at the thought of a snow day. Since I go to work out every morning at 5:45 I got up extra early today to watch the news and see if any of the schools I work at were closed. None! So off I went to the gym and then came home to quickly get ready for work. I was just about out the door when one of my kiddo's mom called and said the school was closed. Since they live about 45 minutes away from me she said we could just add on to friday's session. Score!!! My next kiddo isn't until 3:30. What to do with all this time?

Well, the good little housewife in me decided to deep clean the house. I swept, mopped, did loads of laundry, vacuumed, and dusted. All at 8am. M still hadn't taken out the garbage from the party(which is his one chore)so instead of nagging him to do so, I decided to take all 5 bags out. Not a good idea. As the garbage bag burst and spilled all over me and the ground, I immediately started cursing my hubby in my head. It was at this moment I realized how different men and women are. I used my extra free time to get stuff done around the house, M would have come home, plopped his butt down on my freshly polished and dusted coffee table and turned on the playstation. He has it so rough!

What irritated me about taking the garbage out today is this. On Monday I was telling my husband how I was so stressed out trying to balance work and school along with housework and spending as much time with him as possible before he deploys. He asked what he could do to help and promised to help out around the house more. Well the garbage was still sitting here and our kitchen table is full of his loads of laundry that he hasn't put away. At least I don't have to do his laundry since he does his own

M was also supposed to pay our rent and make an appt for us to get our taxes done. After weeks of nagging him to make an appt, he admitted he lost the number's of the accountant I gave him. Talk about frustrating. He then told me I needed to stop nagging and that it would get done. I am freaking out since he leaves in less than 3 weeks and we need to get that done. He also didn't pay our rent like he was supposed so I had to go today to take care of it. Sometimes I just want to scream. Instead of making things easier, he adds more stuff on for me to do. His excuse is he is deploying soon and has a lot going on

I understand that, I really do. So I'm trying not to nag, not to worry and to just make life at home as calm and peaceful as possible before he deploys. After all we are both terribly on edge and it's just not worth it to fight over taking the garbage out.

But let me ask you ladies this, Do you face this problem with your hubby? Does your hubby help clean and do things around the house or is the house work left mainly up to you? Just curious
Happy Wednesday, I am def looking forward to the weekend!!
XOXO Katie F

11 comments:

  1. I am so glad my husband isn't the only one. Some days it really feels like I'm the only one who married a butthead. Every now and again he will clean the apartment, but every night he eats his dinner--that I have ready when he gets home--and then puts his plate on the counter or in the sink. And leaves it there. And doesn't do anything with it. It would sit there for 3 days if I didn't do it for him. Last night he spilled our son's drink on the counter, and didn't wipe it up. UGH. Why? Why cant they just clean up after themselves?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. House work is left mainly up to me, but I only work 6 hours a week, so I've got the time. It would have to be renegotiated if I was working more. He has his jobs to do, though. He usually takes the trash out and always picks up the dog poo. He also puts his own clothes away, although I do all the laundry. We used to butt heads about housework alot, but have since worked the kinks out and it seems to be working! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the majority of the housework...but I also don't have a job & am home almost all day studying, so it makes sense. When I was in the working world, though, housework was divided up very evenly between us. That was something that was important to both of us, so it is something we worked out during the dating days. I am a very blessed girl, to have a husband who cooks, cleans, does laundry, etc, without ever having to be asked to do any of it. And you, my dear, are a saint :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I pretty much do all the cleaning, which I am ok with because I am a clean freak. My hubby actually does the laundry which is a HUGE blessing to me because I hate doing it(and yes he does separate things, including sweaters haha).

    We actually had snow on Fort Bragg this morning when I left for work, my car was covered! It was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoy doing the cleaning. Besides, if he did it I'm sure I would just do it again because I like it done my way. Sounds petty, I know. He cooks and does the dishes and always offers to help if he sees me doing something. But yeah, he's deployed right now and living the life - he has someone who cleans his room and does his laundry for him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Because we do not live together yet I am not real sure how this is going to go down. My guess is that most of the housework will be left up to me but Robbie likes cooking (more like dislikes my cooking, but whatev) so he will probably do most of that, which is fine.by.me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always feel as though I have to nag and nag and nag to get Nick to do anything. It's slowly getting better but it's been a long and hard battle to get where we are. I've had to compromise a lot when it comes to my standard of cleanliness because it's a lot different than his and we had to come to an agreement somewhere. When I was in school we alternated days doing the dishes and other chores around the house. Now that I don't go to school though I take care of everything except laundry. He still does that on his own without me having to ask and we fold it together normally. If I want him to do the dishes I ask and he normally gets it done within a day (slow, but like I said, had to give in somewhere). We have designated spots where he can be messy- his side of the office and his desk and his closet. I don't care how messy they get because doors can easily get shut and he does pick it every once and awhile so it doesn't get TOO awful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband is really good about knowing that when I get home from work all I want to do is sit on the couch & not think. He won't let me put groceries up, cook dinner, etc. However, he is not so great about housework. If I don't ask him to do it, it won't get done. He's pretty good about things if I ask him to do it, but I have to ask... sometimes multiple times, or it won't get done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do most of the cleaning but I do have to say without being too sweetsy about it that my husband truly does help around the house allot. He will help me sweep or mop the wood floors. He does the dishes every night. And is always hands on with Cooper.
    I think the problem is that I'm really a lazy person at heart, he's a very active person. So the poor guy got stuck with a wife who's like "Babe, can you sweep for me PLEASE". haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hubs is on the road trveling for business Monday thru Friday, so when he gets home on Friday he has a week's worth of laundry, but he is also completely exhausted from the week's traveling. Since there's not much to be done during the week, I'll deep clean before he gets home, and he's fantastic about keeping things picked up over the weekend. I do the best I can to allow him to relax before leaving again bright and early Monday morning, so I guess you could say I do most of the chores. He will offer {and is capable} of doing his laundry, ironing, dishes etc, but I'd rather us enjoy the time that we have together over the weekend than him dreading doing housework when he comes home to relax. Ours is a different situation altogether, but I can completely understand your frustration! Perhaps a little chart/schedule thingy might help!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woooo way to get things DONE! Hubby was supposed to do trash but we would ALWAYS forget so then he was supposed to take it out in the morning on the way to work which he usually forgot as well... Usually I'd have to point out things I needed help with... we'll see how it goes when he gets home.

    ReplyDelete