Thursday, December 17, 2009

North Carolina Here We Come!!

About a month before my husband returned from his deployment I started making plans to move to North Carolina where he is stationed. I found us an apartment, put notice in at my job and started packing up my things to move. I couldn't wait to start our life together
During M's deployment I started watching the show Army Wives along with reading the book. So I imagined wives from the FRG to be waiting at our door, welcoming me to North Carolina. I also imagined that these women and I would become life long friends and life would consist of group functions and girls nights when the men had training. This was not to be the case.
I was shocked when no one greeted us at our door. I was also shocked to find out that M's unit had disbanded their FRG. Where were my new best friends, how was I going to meet people, what happened if M had to go away for training. How was I going to handle living by myself. I was terrified. I had just left my family and friends, moved 2000 miles away and wanted to turn the car around. Finally I got myself out of the car, gave myself a kick and told myself that if I could handle a deployment, I can handle anything.Why was I worrying about meeting people when my best friend was finally home? As hard as it was to move away from my family and friends, I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. My favorite quote which sums up military life for me is "I cast my lot with a solider and where he is is home to me". After my initial shock of realizing that my new life wasn't going to be like an episode of Army Wives, I settled in just fine.
Now 8 months later I am fortunate enough to have made some amazing friends,North Carolina finally feels like home and I give thanks everyday that my husband is home and we have been able to spend the majority of this past year together.

No comments:

Post a Comment