Sunday, December 20, 2009

Home for the Holiday's

We are finally home in Wisconsin after spending more than 24 hours in the car!

Having grown up in Wisconsin and living there my entire life I was beyond excited to move to North Carolina with it's warm climate and to escape the cold, snow, slush and crud. However the warm weather got old fast when in August and September the weather continued to get warmer and warmer. This snow bunny was ready to bust out my cute boots and gloves! I really started wishing it would snow in NC the day after thanksgiving when I started preparing for Christmas. I got the tree out, put up decorations, started baking christmas cookies and cuddled on the couch and watched a White Christmas with the hubby. All that was missing was the snow.

So as it got closer and closer for us to leave to go to WI for the holiday's I was beyond excited. I went out and bought a new hat and gloves and couldn't wait to see some snow. Just our luck that the day before we leave, northern NC, Virginia and West Virginia got hit with a huge snowstorm and to make matters worse, this was in our direct path of our route home. I worked until 2:30 yesterday afternoon and after getting home and watching the weather reports we decided to leave. We packed up the car, gave the dogs a mild sedative for the ride and set off.

We plugged in our destination into the GPS and our estimated arrival time to hit Wisconsin was 6am. Perfect! We made good time until we reached West Virginia where we were told at the first poll that traffic was going to be held up due to the roads being cleared of wrecks. We hit the bad traffic at around roughly 830pm. We sat at a standstill in the mountains of West Virginia until 1:30am. After being forced to listen to Blue Collar Radio and to Larry the Cable guy tell countless jokes about poop, farting and his sister Rolly Polly, I was ready to strange my hubby with my scarf and set off on foot. Finally traffic let up and we exited the interstate to fill up our tank with gas. The roads were awful off the interstate, none had been plowed and there was no gas for more than 50 miles around. We had more than half a tank so we got back on the interstate and started off once more. We made it until about 3:30am until we couldn't drive anymore. The wind was blowing snow and we didn't want to take any chances. After sleeping in the parking lot of a gas station, cramped in our honda civic with my hubby in the driver's seat, me in the passenger seat and our two 70 pound dogs in the back seat I was ready to get home.

We got back on the road about 7am and finally reached Wisconsin at 4pm. Joking with my husband I said that if we could survive spending 24 hours in a car with each other we can survive anything!!

I am very grateful that we made it home safely and can't wait to start the festivities of our holiday season. And I have to report that we left the snow in NC. There is hardly any snow on the ground here in WI so I am keeping my fingers crossed that we will end up having a White Christmas after all

No comments:

Post a Comment