Monday, July 22, 2013

Couch to 5K update

Some inspiration for y'all










Today marks the start of week 3 of my couch to 5k. I can't believe I'm already three weeks in. A few weeks ago I hadn't run or worked out consistently in years. Now I'm looking forward to my workouts and even throwing in extra runs!
This week the real work begins. I start my 6 minute jog today and go up a minute the rest of the week! When I started I was only running for two minutes. This will be interesting

I still have a lot to work on. I need to loosen up my running form, find a better way to work through or semi heal my shin splints and not be so focused on the clock

For me running is a mind over matter thing. I can't clear my head enough to just let go and enjoy the run. I'm too busy looking at my watch to see if my time is up. I def need to work on that

But as far as the runs and workouts go I'm staying on course and loving it.

The first week I was very discouraged. I cut out a lot of foods and really watched what I ate. With my new workout program I thought Id be on the fast track to losing. Nope by the end of the week I gained 6 pounds. 6 pounds after eating basically salads, fruit smoothies and chicken. So last week I ate what I normally do and although I haven't lost I haven't gained. This week I will go back to watching more of what I eat but not depriving myself of anything either. Here's to week 3!'

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. Good for you! It's definitely a mind over matter thing for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely don't deprive yourself, I didn't change anything I ate just watched how much of my normal foods I ate. 25 pounds lighter and it still works. You are doing amazing my friend, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't recommend compression sleeves/socks enough. I have a pair that I wear for recovery and I normally sleep in them. Since I started using them I don't have shin pain or knee pain at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! I started running in April after my little one was born and my shin splints were awful for the longest time. I found after switching sneakers and as time went along they got better. Once the muscles around your shins strengthen the pain gets worse :)

    ReplyDelete