Friday, December 23, 2011

The Reason of the Season





As the holiday season approaches it is easy to get caught up in the excitement and frenzy that this time of year brings. All the rushing around trying to find the perfect gift for your loved one's, cranking up the Christmas music while decorating the house, planning family get togethers and Christmas parties, taking your kids to see Santa at the mall and making Christmas cookies. With all that going on how do you honor the real reason of the season?

As a kid growing up I went to a christian school and the story of Jesus' birth was read and celebrated every year at this time. One year we had a birthday party for Jesus and every year we had a Christmas concert. And while I think all that is important, how do you teach it to your kid's if that stuff isn't taught at their school. And do you teach your kid's that Christmas isn't all about receiving gifts but something so much more

I bought a good friend of mine kids Christmas gifts. The 7 year old didn't like anything I bought even though I got her things off her list. She cried and yelled about how she didn't like anything and while I felt bad that she was disappointed I couldn't help think to myself that my kid will never act like that.

Talking to the hubs later on we discussed how when Gianna gets older we will really try and teach her what this season is all about. Will we let her believe in Santa. Of course. But amongst writing letter's to Santa we want to try and do something like adopting a family or gong to the soup kitchen and helping those in need. I just think that's important. While it is always fun to receive it in my opinion is always better to give

So how do you guys honor the reason of the season while still celebrating all the other aspects of the holiday?

We were supposed to go see a living Nativity last night but due to a tornado watch and pouring rain we couldn't go. Maybe tonight we will have better luck!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post, Katie... So true about the REAL meaning!! Love what you are going to teach and are teaching your little girl. :)

    ReplyDelete