Sunday, June 24, 2012

SLR Cameras

Shortly after Gianna was born my mom surprised us with a Nikon D5000. I have always been obsessed with taking pictures to document every event and pretty much every room in my house is decorated with pictures.

But while I love my camera I don't really know how to use it! I mean sure I can take pictures but as far as really know the settings on my camera and how to play around with it I'm clueless. The lens we have on it is the basic lens that came with the camera and the one thing I don't like about it is that if I wanted to take pic after pic to document Gianna walking the lens is too slow. The hubs does know alot about using slr cameras and even playing around with the setting doesn't change the lens speed.

At Gianna's one year pic session yesterday I asked our photographer about it. She suggested a 50mm lens with a 1.8 g. So that is what I'm looming at to purchase. Because while I love my slr I've Been using my digital point and shoot Leica camera for everything. It would be nice to actually use my slr camera for everything since I wanted it for a reason

And that being said I def want to learn how to properly use my camera. So question for y'all out there, how did you learn how to use your slr camera? Did you take a class or find any resources or manuals that helped. Clue me in!

Thanks


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

8 comments:

  1. I have a nikon d3100... there is a setting (you'll need to check the manual) that will allow you to take pics one after the other in rapid succession. I have previous camera knowledge, but it's been a number of years. My camera bundle came with some videos, so I watched those for tips. Also, just practice practice practice! the 50mm 1.8 is a GREAT lens - I can't wait to pick it up for mine (if the auto focus lens would come back in stock)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not personally taken one, but I have heard good things about workshops run at local colleges at such. They range from one day to a week, and are open to non-students. Maybe try one of those?
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to take a class. I have a d5100 and love it! But I wish I could do more with it too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a good post..I have a Nikon camera and I have no clue how to use the different settings so I just keep it in Auto mode lol..

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Arts and Crafts/Hobby center on JB Charleston does basic photography classes. I have never taken it as I already know all that stuff (i'm a photographer here in Charleston). Scott Kelby has a great website full of information on how to's and learning the basics and several advanced lessons. I think you have to be a member and pay a fee though. Try googling "Michael the Mentor" and he has a great little website that has some basic lessions, and its even free (at least it used to be). Also, Digital photography school is a great place to join, its free and you can take part in weekly assignments and learn some really great tips, ask questions and a sea of articles on how to work a camera and take better pictures. If you have a best buy or a store similar in the area check to see if they have a DVD for the NikonD5000. It will help tremendously by walking you step by step in learning your camera. There are so many great pins on Pinterest too under the photography section. :o) Feel free to email me with any questions too. Info@photographsbykari.com I could talk camera for days. One thing I warn with the 50mm 1.8 is that its a fixed lens, meaning you cannot zoom in and out. You must zoom old school by using your feet...moving back or forwards and its typically used for portraits for a tighter frame. I love mine to pieces but maybe not one I would recommend for someone who is learning the basics still.
    Hope that helps at least a little!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you change your settings to continuous shot, it will allow you to take frame after frame. However, it won't cause it to focus any faster. It will just allow there to not be a lag between shots.

    I have a Nikon D7000 and I also have the 50mm f/1.8 lens. It is such a great lens. It makes a world of difference compared to the kit lens. With models like the Nikon 3100 and 5000, you still have to manually focus the lens, since it doesn't have a autofocus motor like the more professional models. Basically, that lens won't autofocus, but will manually.

    The 50mm is known as the fifty nifty! It is a great portrait lens. Like the above commenter, you have to make sure that is one that you want, since it is a fixed focal lens.

    Here's more specific information about the lens: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/5018af.htm

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same camera! And I love it. I've read a lot of books and articles at these sites:
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/
    http://www.nikonusa.com/Learn-And-Explore/Photography-Techniques/index.page

    The user's manual is essential to know how to use the settings, of course.

    And... practice practice practice!

    I have the 50mm/1.8 and I LOVE it. It makes such a difference, especially in low-light conditions and little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I took a class at the community college in Fayetteville, but I also took a one day session here in Fl with Allison Shamrell Photography. She lives towards Pensacola but does some sessions in Ft Walton.

    ReplyDelete