Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Remembering

I can't believe it's been 11 years since the horrible tragedy that took place at the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and in the air.

I still remember vividly where I was when I heard the news. I was a senior in high school, enjoying my second period study hall as a teachers aid to my biology teacher. I recall my theology teacher bursting into the room and asking to borrow the tv. He explained the news as he started wheeling over the tv to his class across the hall and we all rushed over and watched in horror as the second plane just crashed. I remember all of us thinking that it had to be a mistake. Certainly not a terrorist attack. That was something we read about in our history books, not something that could ever happen in our country

But it did. And in a way it was a loss of childhood innocence for many. No longer could we tell ourselves we were safe. There were people outside my small, private school bubble that hated Americans and wanted to hurt us. And 9/11 opened my eyes to that

I still can't watch the documentaries or news stories on 9/11 without crying. I imagine what it must have been like to hear the news of the attacks and know that your loved ones were working at or visiting the building that day. So many people lost their husbands, wives, parents, and friends in that horrible day.

But it didn't end there. The first responders of NYC rushed to the scene and started to help as many people as they could. They saves many people that day and many of them were killed themselves.

And now 11 years later our country is still fighting a war that stemmed from these terrorist attacks. How many lives have Been lost since the war has started? Too many to count

As a military wife 9/11 is so much more than a terrorist attack. It is the reason my husband is gone for long periods of time. It is the reason that I'm used to spending more time alone or with friends than with my spouse and it is also the reason I cry every time I sing the star spangled banner and see the flag being raised.

I'm proud to be an American, proud of my husband for all he does and proud of all our brave men and woman who are serving our country today

Sometimes I wish people could remember the sense of togetherness and patrioticness that they felt after 9/11 And stand behind our troops like they did back then. But I know that this war means different things to different people. And everyone is entitled to their own feelings and opinions

To me this war is in large part due to this one event. Where thousands lost their lives due to anothers hate. So let us remember and never forget this horrible tragedy. I know I never will




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Newest follower to your blog! :) Love it! I can't believe it's been 11 years!

    xo

    ReplyDelete