Monday, December 17, 2012

Sheltering your children

Last night I spent 6 hours in the Er with my little man. He had a slight fever during the day so I brushed it off. When it spiked at night I knew I had to take him in. Turns out he has bronchitis

Due to his age they ordered a full work up on him. When they came to do his iv and draw his blood they asked me to leave the room. Despite all the other babies also in the Er I could hear E's cries all the way down the hall. It was heartbreaking. I started crying of course because as a mom my natural instinct was to rush in there, pick him up, hold him and never let go.

As parents we want to shelter our children. Protect them forever. Ensure that they never experience any pain, hardship or heartache. But aside from locking them up in the house and never letting them leave that's impossible

Friday after hearing the news of the shooting I sobbed and sobbed and hugged my babies close all day. I told the husband I was going to homeschool and was terrified to put G in the nursery at church during the service. This morning I debated about even taking her to school and when I did you can bet I was that parent that asked about their emergency plan and security measures if something were to happen

And while I want to keep my kids home with me forever and always be there with them and for them I know that's not a reality. I can't keep my kids sheltered forever. And that's scary

It's sad to think we live in a world where you have to think twice and worry about going to the mall, seeing a movie or waiting for the subway. Will our kids grow up going to schools with bars and chains in the window? Security guards with guns leading them to their classroom? Living in a world of fear

But that's not the answer either. We can't live in fear. We can't let fear control us. I just hope that people realize things need to change and for the better

Praying for all the families who lost their sweet babies


- Posted using BlogPress from may iPhone

2 comments:

  1. I completely understand how you feel. I hope everyone is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're exactly right. The whole thing is just so scary and horrible:( Figuring out a balance between keeping them safe, and really living our lives, will be so hard

    ReplyDelete