Thursday, May 29, 2014

Books I Read In May

Now that all my shows have ended I've been trying to read more. And since I've also declared it a waste of time to spent nap time cleaning the house I now head out to the porch as soon as the kids are sleeping and open up a good book. And once the kids are in bed at night I head back out to the porch with a yummy glass of moscato where I read till all hours of the night. Here are some of the books I read this month
 
 
 
The One and Only- I had Emily Giffin's newest book on preorder the minute it became available. And the day it came out I shooed the kids outside and started reading as they played. And I'm sad to say this is not one of her best books. I found it boring, to be honest. The story is about a forbidden love and football. Now I am not a football fan. The only time I show any interest in football is if the Packer's make it to the playoff's. Then I'll watch a game or two. If that doesn't happen a football game never gets shown in my house. Although I knew this book had to do with football I didn't think it would consist of pages and pages of football facts and stories. Oh my word I was bored to tears. On top of that I felt like you never really got to know any of the characters since most of the book was related to football and her writing style seemed more immature than usual. I ended up skimming most of the book and didn't think it got really good until the last 50 pages.
 
Harry Potter and the Sorcer's Stone- The husband and I are huge Harry Potter Fans. I am always up for a Harry Potter marathon any day of the week. But I haven't read all the books. I read books 1-3 years ago and keep telling my husband that I am going to restart the series and read them all finally. So I picked up book 1 and am hooked once again in the land of Hogwarts, Harry Potter and wizarding. Can't wait to read them all this summer
 
The Light Between Oceans- This book was my online book club's pick of the month. It was fantastic. I loved it and couldn't put it down. It made me think and I couldn't get it out of my head long after I had finished the last page. A more complete review will be up soon
 
My Best Friend Maybe- This book I received via NetGalley 
Synopsis from Amazon
"
Right before they started high school, Colette’s best friend, Sadie, dumped her. Three years later, Colette is still lonely. She tries to be perfect for everyone left in her life: her parents, her younger brothers, her church youth group, even her boyfriend, Mark. But Colette is restless. And she misses Sadie.

Then Sadie tells Colette that she needs her old friend to join her on a family vacation to the Greek Islands, one that leaves in only a few days, and Colette is shocked to hear their old magic word: need. And she finds herself agreeing.

Colette tries to relax and enjoy her Grecian surroundings but it’s not easy to go on vacation with the person who hurt you most in the world. When the reason for the trip finally surfaces, Colette finds out this is not just a fun vacation. Sadie has kept an enormous secret from Colette for years . . . forever. It’s a summer full of surprises, but that just might be what Colette needs."
 
This book was a quick easy read. I could total relate to the main character. A girl who had lsot her best friend years before and never knew the reason why. Through flashbacks you get glimpses of Sadie and Colette's friendship and it is impossible to relate to Colette as she struggles to walk the line between childhood and adolescence. I, myself was totally that girl who still played with barbies well into middle school, yet around my friends pretended to talk make up and clothes.
I thought the book was good until you found out the reason why Colette was dumped by Sadie. The end kind of felt rushed and not well put together.
Still an interesting read in regards to teenage friendships and family relationships
 
 



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the heads up on "The one and only". I was having doubts on it.

    ReplyDelete