Monday, February 27, 2012

Mommy Intuition

As Mother's we all have mommy intuition. We know when something is not right with our child. We can distinguish what each cry means and we always know what our kids want. Some people dismiss our mommy intuition as paranoia but most of the times, us mom's are right.

At Gianna's 6 month appt her Dr said she had fluid in her lungs. He kept going on and on about this fluid and how heavy of a breather she is. He got me so scared and when I kept asking questions about it he said it's fine as long as she doesn't have a fever. What was I to do. I listened to the Dr. My mom(whose a nurse) was livid and said fluid in the lungs is never good.She demanded I make another appt. But I didn't since the Dr said she didn't have a fever. I religiously took her temperature three times a day and still no fever. A few days later G started acting weird. Very unlike her smiley self. So I called the Dr and got her in. This time we saw a new Dr and I told her what happened at her last appt. She was so mad that the Dr did no additional tests. However she took a good listen at G's lungs and there was no fluid. And all her odd symptoms, the runny nose, congestion, inactiveness was signs of teething. Sure enough G got her molar's in a few days later

Fast forward a week. G developed this horribly barky cough. She couldn't sleep at night due to this cough. I called the Dr for two weeks straight. They had no appts for her and said since she had no fever she was fine. Finally Thursday night I took her in to the er. Sure enough she had an upper respiratory infection, an ear infection and luckily tested negative for RSV. The Dr was so mad my physician refused to see her and said kid's can still be sick without a fever. I'm just glad I stuck to my gut and took her in. IF I would have kept waiting to get a Dr appt G's cold could have gotten way worse.

Last night on Facebook someone posted this story about Mother's intuition. It is amazing. A little long but keep reading. YOu won't regret it. It brought tear's to my eyes



Saving My Baby
I gave birth on a February afternoon by repeat caesarean. A pink, squalling bundle was handed to me, and I gazed lovingly into eyes that seemed to recognize me. I whispered sweet words of belonging to this girl child of mine, and comforted her outraged cries. She was the daughter I so desperately wanted.

A week after her birth, a friend dropped off a ring sling. I snuggled my 7 lb bundle into it and went about my way with a mostly content baby. Within two weeks, I was wearing her constantly. Towards afternoon, she’d begin to sob and scream inconsolably. She would arch and thrash, refuse to nurse, refuse a soother, the swing, my arms. The only thing that would quiet her screams was the sling.

Screamy baby began to lose weight. I carried her – day in, day out – in the sling. Repeated trips to the doctor revealed nothing. She was unable to nurse, screaming hysterically within moments of latch on.I was told rudely “ Do breast compressions. Breast is best.” Breast compressions made her choke and gag... and scream. I began feeding her formula. We went back to the doctor. Reflux. Milk Intolerance. Delayed gastric emptying. Her weight gain was poor, and the screaming increased in volume. Nights were long, filled with arching, thrashing baby. There was many a night that I slept with her in the sling, sitting up on the couch, unwilling to move her from her comfort zone. People told me I was spoiling her. I told them “ We’re coping. This is all that works.” I was told to let her cry it out, but I had no desire to abandon my child to a dark room to cry out her angst. My responsibility to her did not end when the sun went down. I whispered in her ear that I couldn’t stop her crying, but I could hold her while she cried.

I paced the floors with her, snuggled tummy to tummy in the sling. At six months, I begged the doctor to hospitilize her – I knew something was dreadfully wrong. The paediatrician agreed. She was poked, prodded, xrayed, and force fed. The screaming continued.

A day before discharge, my pediatrician’s partner waltzed into our room with his holier than thou attitude. He told me I wasn’t putting in the effort to feed her, to put her in another room to sleep and let her cry it out. I banned him from treating my child.

I worked part time, baby in sling. I got a mei tai, two more ring slings. I carried her everywhere. In the shower. To the doctor, to the park, on playdates. People nastily asked me how she would learn to walk if I never put her down. I ignored them. Carrying her stopped the screaming.

Just before her first birthday, she developed a high fever and cough. I took her to the ER, still wrapped in my sling. We waited 7 hours. Xrays revealed her heart was enlarged. We were admitted. I carried her nonstop for the next few days – through a terrifying whirlwind of echocardiograms and finally a diagnosis. During one particularly memorable screaming fit, a nurse turned to me in tears, and handed me my sling. My daughter quieted, safe in her sling.

She was in heart failure. A rare and very serious heart defect had been causing massive heart attacks. Fatality rates were 90% in the first year. The screaming was her suffering from crushing chest pain. In the hallway, the cardiologist turned to me and quietly told me that it was my parenting – the constant carrying – that had allowed her to survive against all odds.

My daughter never cried alone, left in a room. Had I ever practiced CIO, I would have woken to a lifeless baby. I held her through months of gut wrenching doubt, moments when I cried too. But today, I watch my daughter play and run, and laugh. I carried her through a mom’s worst nightmare... and we both survived.

Sarah Kaganovskyhttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif

Updated- October 2010~

Mila is now a happily thriving three and a half year old. The scrawny screaming baby has grown into a confident and outgoing preschooler because of the constant babywearing. looking back, it amazes me... My trusty sling and I... We SAVED her.

Mila now has had two brain surgeries as well. And a little sister! The only way I've been able to care for them both is to be wearing one. In a way, babywearing has allowed us to cope as a normal family. The baby deserves Mommy. Mila requires hands on care. And I can provide both girls exactly what they need!
Here is a link to the author's blog. CLick HERE

6 comments:

  1. Ugh, that made me cry!!! What an amazing story. So glad you went to the ER...mommy intuition is amazing. Delia hardly ever runs fevers when she's sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a right to be seen in 24 or 48 hours (I forget which one) but if you can't be seen at your PCM tell the tri-care rep that you demand to be seen in a timely fashion and let her know that you know that she needs to send you to another doctor in town.

    And congratulations! I didn't post on your other post because I read it on my phone. I know all about mommy guilt when #2 is coming along, it's hard but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is an amazing story!! I'm sorry your first doctor dismissed you like that. I bet that was scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe 100% in mother's intuition! It's what saved my baby! When he first started having {head nodding} seizures everyone kept telling me it was nothing, he was probably just tired. I even had one person tell me not to worry because it was most likely an ear infection! His doc almost sent us home with no diagnosis but because I spoke up and questioned something he sent us to a children's hospital for an EEG. That appointment led us to another, and we soon discovered he had a rare genetic disorder that caused tumors to grow on his brain and heart. Imagine if I had never spoke up and insisted the doctor run more tests! I'm not telling you this to scare you.. Just telling you to ALWAYS follow your mother's intuition! And if you feel that a doctor isn't giving your child the best help, demand to see someone else.

    Hope your baby girl is feeling better now!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe 100% in mother's intuition! It's what saved my baby! When he first started having {head nodding} seizures everyone kept telling me it was nothing, he was probably just tired. I even had one person tell me not to worry because it was most likely an ear infection! His doc almost sent us home with no diagnosis but because I spoke up and questioned something he sent us to a children's hospital for an EEG. That appointment led us to another, and we soon discovered he had a rare genetic disorder that caused tumors to grow on his brain and heart. Imagine if I had never spoke up and insisted the doctor run more tests! I'm not telling you this to scare you.. Just telling you to ALWAYS follow your mother's intuition! And if you feel that a doctor isn't giving your child the best help, demand to see someone else.

    Hope your baby girl is feeling better now!!

    ReplyDelete