Sunday, August 5, 2012

Keeping Busy

I've found that the easiest way to get through a deployment or a TDY is to keep busy. When I worked full time that was an easy thing to do. My days consisted of going to the gym, working and coming home to make dinner and veg on the couch before going to bed and doing it all over again the next day.

Now that I'm a SAHM it's not quite so easy to keep myself as busy as I used to. Especially when I put myself on a restricted budget since I have a whole list of baby things to buy these next two months.

Don't get me wrong. In some ways this time it's easier having the hubs gone. Gianna keeps me so busy, not to mention entertained that some days fly by in the blink of an eye. Other days I go crazy walking around the house with only a 1 year old to talk to. My mommy group is off for the summer and all my friends are on amazing beach vacations with their husbands who are all on leave due to upcoming deployments. So that leaves Gianna and I to ourselves. I try and jam the day full of activities. But face it, that's impossible with a one year old. By the time we've gone for a walk, played outside in the pool or water table, read some books, colored, played with stuffed animals and any other activity I can think of to stimulate her it feels like the whole afternoon should have flown by. But in reality I'm good if I can keep her entertained for an hour and a half straight. She constantly is on the go, wanting to explore and try new things leaving a pregnant mommy exhausted and praying for nap time.

And packing up a toddler and heading to the pool, beach or park by myself is not an easy task. I'm constantly chasing after her and my independent child wants nothing to do with me following her around or guiding her to activity after activity. She thinks she can do it all on her own!

And with baby boy due in 11 weeks, I've started to realize that mommy needs some mommy time and it will be healthy for Gianna to get some time away from me and get used to the idea that all my time and attention won't solely be on her after the baby is born. (sniff)

One thing I have wanted to do is find a good church to attend, one with small groups and activities oxides tide of Sunday service that the family and I can go to. And today I did. Although catholic I wasn't a fan of the only catholic church here in town so I tried a Methodist church down the street from my house. And I loved it. They have a military support group that meets once a week along with having play dates and other kid focused outings. Plus this church offers amazing small group options. Today I signed up for Parenting 101 which starts in a few weeks.

And with school starting and the end of summer approaching my Mops group meets back up, story time at the library begins and i have a whole list of activities filling up my calendar starting at the end of August. I am so excited for all the activities Gianna and I will have to fill up our days! Nothing like keeping busy to help the time fly until we see Daddy again. And as Gianna has gotten older I've realized that her and I do need time apart. It's healthy for us to be away from each other. She needs time to grow and socialize with other kids and mommy needs time for adult conversation. With the hubs being gone on and off for the next year and the addition of a new baby, my only time away and on my own will be during small group at church and during my mops meeting. When Gianna was a newborn I felt selfish wanting time for myself. Now I welcome and appreciate it.

And what I like about all these activities is that they only are for a few hours each day. Just enough time to get Gianna and I outta the house and around other people. So I'll still have plenty of time to soak up my one on one time with her. So bring on August. We are ready for you!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you got it all under control :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just curious on how i can start my own blog page. I too will be an army wife here shortly and it would just be nice to blog about it! if u could let me know how to make one that would be great ! thanks! I can be reached at mommyandbaby69@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete